Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Lentil Stew

I am not ashamed to admit that I occasionally like to use a slow cooker.  I received mine as a gift some years ago, and, despite an initial 1970s macrame-avocado-green-cheese-fondue flashback, I have used it more than I thought I would.  Especially in the colder months, when something stew-like is what appeals.  It certainly did on Sunday, when we were running around all afternoon with a friend who was visiting.  So, I decided to make a second pot of the pumpkin-lentil stew that I had put together a few weeks ago.  Here is what I did.

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
8 oz. hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 black cardamom pods
some herbes de Provence
1 small sugar pumpkin, seeds removed, peeled and diced
1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, with their juices
1 1/4 cups French lentils, rinsed
1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in skillet, and add sausage.  Saute, breaking up the sausage with the back of your spoon.  When it is browned add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, whole cardamom pods, and herbs.  Saute until vegetables start to caramelize.  Put in slow cooker, and add pumpkin, kale, tomatoes and lentils.  Stir to mix.  Add chicken broth, and some salt and pepper.  Cook until vegetables and lentils are tender.  (Approximately 5 hours on the "high" setting seemed about right, but other cookers might vary.)  Correct seasonings and serve.  Add a dash of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar, if desired.

We had the stew with a beet and spinach salad and some homemade biscuits.

No comments: