Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Quick Weeknight Supper

Eggs are always a good choice for a quick weeknight supper, or at least they would be if I had lower LDL levels. But, as they say in France, tant pis.  I am always game to whip up a frittata, but I really prefer an omelette.  If I am cooking for the two of us, I generally make one big one and then divide it, so that we can both have hot eggs.  (One of my pet peeves is cold food that should be hot.)

Tonight I made an omelette with pepper jack cheese, mushrooms, a fresh Walla Walla onion, and beet greens, all of which I sauteed together.  My beets have great looking greens this year, so I picked a nice handful.  The beets themselves are still pretty small; it will probably be a few weeks before they can be harvested.  In addition to the omelette, we had a salad with some fresh lettuce, grape tomatoes, and nasturtium flowers.  I went a bit wild with the nasturtiums this year, so we are going to have oodles of them.  Unfortunately, I only planted one variety, so I should start some more if I want to broaden the palette.

No comments: