Saturday, June 13, 2009

June 13, 2009

I braved the weeds today for about an hour and a half, and to reward myself for my toils I jumped the gun and dug a hill of potatoes.  It is a little early, but I found some beautiful starchy gems.  The hill I dug is a bit of an outlaw anyway; it's parent was a potato that sprouted in the pantry, and I decided to go ahead and plant it.
I think I will make some chicken with a tarragon-cream sauce to go with the potatoes, and maybe we will have a little salad with the very last of the radishes.  I'm a little worried that they are going to be super sharp, but a soak in ice water usually cuts that a bit.
We have had unbelievable amounts of rain, and not very much sun, over the last week to ten days.  Some things look great in the garden, especially the potatoes and beans.  A lot of other things are very pokey.  The eggplant look terrible, and I wonder if I should just start over with new plants.  It was a little too cold when I planted them (like my father, I am a little impatient about getting things in the ground), and I am afraid that they may just never thrive.   The squash and cucumber plants look pretty healthy, but they are just small.  Hopefully they will have their growth spurt soon.  In the meantime, it looks like we will have green beans in the next week, which is unbelievably early.  I guess I am lucky; the beans are arriving before the bean beetles.

No comments: