Monday, June 06, 2005

June 6, 2005

It is even hotter today than it was yesterday, so I suppose that my tomatoes are even happier than they were. Glen and I are not so happy, because our air conditioning has not been functional as a result of some remodeling work in the basement. These are the times that try relationships with contractors.

I did take a stroll over to the community garden this afternoon, though it was too hot to work. I felt a little guilty, because I have the day off from work, so I probably should have tried to accomplish something. My mission, however, was to take a few pictures.

Here's the view to the south from my garden plot:



And here's my forlorn little plot itself:



As you can see, it needs some work.

Much to my dismay, I found that my garden plot was a crime scene. Sometime in the night, a creature had come along and helped him or herself to a fair quantity of leaves on my green beans. My guess is that it was a deer. (That's not as crazy as it sounds...the District is actually home to a fair number of deer in Rock Creek Park and Glover Park, which starts just a few blocks away from the garden.) If this keeps up, I suppose that I'll have to put up a fence. I was just distressed because I love haricots verts, and I'll be unhappy if I don't get any.

No comments: