Sunday, June 05, 2005

June 5, 2005

It is hot as Hades in D.C., but at least the tomatoes are happy. When I went over to the garden to water tonight, they actually looked a little perky. And the green beans are growing nicely. So, too, is the crab grass that infests my plot, which has suffered from a severe lack of tlc. Oh, well, I'll try to make some progress every weekend.

My challenge last night was to make dinner without having gone to the grocery store in a week. My theory is that there is always at least one more dinner that can be pulled together. Last night's ended up being very simple: a pair of salads served on some still passable romaine.

Salad 1: Cannellini Bean and Tuna Salad

Combine one can of drained cannellini beans, one can of tuna, some minced vidalia onion, some minced parsley, and 4 or 5 sliced oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, and then toss with some good olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Salad 2: Potato and Green Bean Salad

Dice a few cooked potatoes and toss with steamed french cut green beans, some minced vidalia onion, and some chopped carrots. Toss with a mustard vinaigrette.

Heap both of them on the lettuce, and you are ready to go.

At least I resisted the urge to use more of my life-changing balsamic vinegar. More about that later.

No comments: