Tuesday, June 08, 2010

A Beet Salad

This entry could have been titled "Your Mother Knows Best." I was in Kansas City over the weekend, visiting my parents and sisters, and I baked an angel food cake for my younger sister's birthday. It was only the second "from scratch" angel food cake I have ever made, and I don't have the technique quite down. It ended up being fine, but I took it out of the oven a few minutes early, even though Mom advised leaving it in just a little longer. As soon as it cooled I was worried that it would be a little too, well, wet. I expect that angel food cake is one of those things that benefit from practice. But what is a person to do with all of those egg yolks?

Tonight we had a very simple supper. Chicken leg quarters roasted in a cast iron skillet with whole cloves of garlic, baked Yukon gold potatoes, and a very nice roasted beet salad, which also included a few steamed sugar snap peas, sweet onion, and fennel fronds, all dressed with a vinaigrette made of olive oil, walnut oil, and sherry vinegar. This year I planted Chioggia beets, along with golden and dark red varieties, so the salad had a nice mixture. I commented to Glen during dinner that I had started the salad back in the middle of March, when I planted the peas and onions. It was worth the wait.

1 comment:

David Silva said...

Lovely picture!